Facilities

Texas A&M University is home to several state-of-the-art facilities dedicated to the care and use for horses, all in support of the teaching, research, outreach and service mission of the university.

Thomas G. Hildebrand, DVM ’56 Equine Complex

Construction began on the new Thomas G. Hildebrand, DVM ’56 Equine Complex in November 2012 and upon completion promises to become the most elite facility of its kind in the world for equine science education, research and outreach. Ultimately, the Thomas G. Hildebrand, DVM ’56 Equine Complex will provide a home for teaching and outreach programs, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension programming, animal science equine teaching and research, the Women’s Equestrian Team, the Polo Club, the Rodeo Team, Parson’s Mounted Cavalry, the Texas A&M Athletics Cross Country teams and much more!

Dick Freeman Arena & Equestrian Center

freeman arenaFreeman Arena is a 200 by 350 foot, covered arena which has been devoted to equine teaching, Extension programs, horse shows, rodeos, cutting contests, and many other activities as a part of the 65-acre Equestrian Center. Adjacent to the arena is a boarding barn equipped with individual stalls, feed and tack storage, and wash racks. In total, 94 stall spaces are available, along with paddock/turnout areas and round pens.

Horse Center

horse centerThe Texas A&M Horse Center encompasses approximately 120 acres and is located within one mile of campus and adjacent to Pearce Pavilion on George Bush Drive. The Horse Center is made up of four main buildings, including a central barn and office area, breeding barn, research barn, hay barn, and several pasture areas. The facility is set up for animal holding and feeding areas for both group and individual horses. Lanes allow easy access and movement of horses with the facility.

Texas A&M University registered its first horse with the American Quarter Horse Association on in 1941, which established our herd that remains the most continuous herd of American Quarter Horses on any campus in the world. Currently, the Horse Center is home to more than 100 American Quarter Horses.

Medical Veterinary Teaching Hospital

VLAM Exterior 7-5x7-editThe Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital (VMTH) at the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences was established in 1915 when the Texas Legislature approved the creation of a public school of veterinary medicine and provided funds for building of a veterinary teaching hospital.

Today, the VMTH generates approximately $12.78 million annually, or 92 percent of the facility’s operating budget, from clinical services offered to client animals brought in for diagnosis and treatment.

The Large Animal Hospital is open 24 hours a day to accept emergency cases, and no referral is necessary. Please call ahead so we can make sure a clinician is available to receive your case

Reproduction Pavilion

Pavilion-horse-A-editThe Reproduction Pavilion houses equipment and laboratory space dedicated to the internationally-renown equine theriogenology team. For horse owners, the theriogenology service offers semen collection, evaluation, and preservation. In addition, assistance with artificial insemination using new methodologies such as Intracytoplamic Sperm Injection (ICSI) is available. Research efforts in the laboratory have led to new methods for preserving semen and eggs, allowing for not only the preservation of important equine bloodlines, but also advancing knowledge addressing equine fertility problems.

Comments are closed.